Monday, August 23, 2010

thought #145- Monday Mornings

Are usually synonymous with crusty eyeballs, crumpled faces, falling sound asleep on the bus/train and the internal cursing at another quotidian routine of work/school. But I find that despite experiencing all of the previously mentioned, I actually look forward to my Monday mornings. Skipping my Blethics lecture for an adventure around the city in search for another cafe to brunch at in the company of beautiful waiters and equally beautiful aesthetics. If I keep this up, I reckon I could start writing cafe reviews (with the iota of knowledge I have regarding cuisine) for the hell of it. So I begin my first exploratory (technically second, visited Pieno cafe at Surry Hills last week but can't be bothered back tracking... may visit it a second time!) recount for my new found obsession/lust- cafe hopping.

Who: Cafe C
Where: 281 King St, Newtown.
When: Monday (Open M-S 7:30am- 10pm).
What: Breaky ham, cheese and tomato croissant ($7) with freshly squeezed orange juice ($5).
How good: 2.5/5 

I actually wasn't planning to go to Newtown today, but with such gloomy weather and a sudden impulse desire to op-shop, I thought I'd pay a visit to one of my favourite suburbs. Yes, it's slightly dishevelled, overpriced at times and the eclecticism can sometimes leave one out of place, but I find a sense of home in this cultured little nook. Desperate to find shelter from the shitface weather and with a growling stomach, I found solace in the nearest decent looking cafe I could find. The little sign "Yes we're open, it's warm inside!" was enticing enough for me and sure enough the empty-ish cafe (perhaps it was too early or it was a Monday or its usually quiet) was cozy and inviting. With some Mediterranean tunes infiltrating the room, I was given a menu and chose to sit by the window panels. The cafe, upon quick and closer inspection, was cute and rustic with a touch of modernity (the cute lightbulb lighting). I noticed that a lot of people stopped by for a takeaway cuppa (including a cute stranger who came in for a mocha) but not many stayed to dine (once again I blame the Monday morning-itis). The meal itself was of a good size and tasty despite trying to keep my dignity with the bluntest knife known to man. The croissant was delicious and flaky but the cheese lacked that true melt and it was obvious that an effort to create this dish was slightly rushed. The orange juice was also pretty acidic it probably could of boiled my guts, but luckily I'm a fan of sour. Disappointment came with the two waiters who weren't exactly friendly or pleasant. Don't get me wrong they weren't bastards or anything, but their constant flirting behind the coffee machine and other random chatters made it feel like I was intruding something private. All in all, if you're looking for a quiet Monday morning feed with enough money left to splurge on your vintage then this is a place you should consider (note I didn't say recommend), other than that it wasn't brilliant nor was it tragic. It looks like a great place to grab a coffee but maybe not as great to dine in for breaky. I'm afraid this cafe is a little like me, sleepy-eyed, nonchalant and a little nasty at 10am.

love,

No comments:

Post a Comment