Wednesday, September 1, 2010

thought # 147- Johnny's Cafe

Who: Johnny's Cafe
Where: 4/2 Horwood Pl, Parramatta
When: Monday (Open M-F 6:00am- 5:00pm, Sat 7:30am- 1pm).
What: Chicken Schnitzel Club Toasted Wholemeal Sandwich with Bacon, Avacado, Lettuce, Mayo and Cheese ($6.80)
How good: 2/5


To be honest, I'm not very familiar with Parramatta dining. It's one of those places where I'm present to eat dinner on a loved one's special day but as far as cafes are concerned I am absolutely ignorant. My  usual lonely cafe hopping day was pleasantly altered with the accompaniment of my two good friends Joseph and Jason. After watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (which I must add was remarkable and everyone should go see it), we were all quite starving and our inital plan to visit Mars Hill Cafe was sadly pulverised due to its closure on Monday mornings. We experienced another blow with the infamous nasi goreng joint also being closed, so being third time lucky we noticed Johnny's cafe, a cozy little place with locals enjoying a meal and coffee, and out of a famished condition, sore legs and its semi-quiet atmosphere we settled to order. Upon inspecting the little cafe, I noticed it had an element of familiarity with not only the locals but perhaps the friendly wooden sign etched at the side of the place. Since it was a beautiful day, the three of us decided to sit outside. Aesthetically, the cafe isn't spectacularly decorated but it does have that cafe look about it. After ordering our meals (the two boys ordered burgers), we engaged in much chit chat before our lunch soon appeared. Tucking into the three slice toastie, I immediately noticed a missing flavour. Perhaps the sandwich needed a sauce more stronger than mayo, maybe it needed tomatoes, whatever it was there was a slightly disappointing lack to my meal. The sandwich itself wasn't too bad, the schnitzel was good and not just some 3/4 fat 1/4 meat pattie. The vegies were fresh, the bread toasted well, but the cheese was definitely a downsider with an absence of melt. Nevertheless the quick service was a plus, the prices affordable and the friendly staff were tip-worthy. I guess it was nothing special, but was a decent enough feed. It wouldn't be a highly recommend for me personally, but with the rest of the cafes closed, I guess their loss is Johnny's gain. 

Love,
Abi

ps. Highly recommend a hot and cold at san churros! one of the best hot choccies I've ever had. Lust worthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment